Tuesday, May 18, 2010

BETTER THAN SLICED BREAD


This is my most favorite thing I garden with.  (Click on the photo to make it larger.)  We bought this golf cart, probably 4 years ago now, and Leon built me a box bed on the back.  It hauls my tank sprayer, that hooks to the battery when needed, assorted tools, Osmocote and supplies.  I usually pull this little trailer behind for buckets of dirt, water, flowerpots, shovel, rakes, hoe, pitchfork.  This time of year it holds the weeds I pull and branches I cut. I just finished unloading a load of weeds and branches.  Later on I will haul mulch with it.  Money couldn't buy this setup, unless it was for a new one. ;>)  Has saved me many a step as our yard is pretty big.

FERNS IN THE SHADE GARDEN

The shade garden is loving this rain we have been having.  Here are some photos of some ferns and companion plants.


The green fern is Maidenhair and the one in front of it is Japanese Painted Fern 'Ursula's Red'.  To the right of the Maidenhair is Persicaria/Tovara Red Dragon.  I traded some P. Painter's Palette in the lower left corner to a guy in Florida for the Red Dragon. He had seen on GardenWeb that I had Painters Pallette and emailed me about a trade.  It gets pretty big and may outgrow its present home as I don't want it to crowd the hostas. Painter's Palette seeds around alot but Red Dragon isn't supposed to.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sister i think i would take the slicrd bread but with jelly lol

Anonymous said...

should say sliced bread need to proof read before i send lol love ya

Wanda said...

I'll take the sliced bread with butter and honey! You can keep the golf cart and those tools. That looks like work. I'd rather eat!!!
Just kidding Bev,

LeAnne said...

Wow, this setup is great...I could see my DH wanting something like this! Your gardens are just beautiful.

gld said...

Bev, I garden with a similar but smaller setup.
I use the riding mower with a garden cart attached. Our yard is pretty big too and I would be walking myself to death getting various things.

I have to unload though when I want to use my sprayer and the battery.

Sliced bread sounds good too.....

Love the shade vignette.

Joan Ervin said...

What a fabulous setup, Bev....I bet this actually makes gardening fun!!! I could use one of those golf carts...I'll have to put it on my Christmas list!!! Your shade garden is beautiful...maybe you need to come to Texas and give me some pointers!!!

Doris said...

Since we have a lot of trees, hence shade, we planted a lot of hostas. I chose varieties for their foliage colors, time of blooming and different sizes. My DH keeps replanting all their "babies" so we have lots now!