Thursday, August 11, 2011

RENEWAL

On August 1st we had a grass fire in our pasture that burned about 10 acres. We had three fire trucks from our Rural Fire Department out and they came three times before it decided to not rekindle. God bless the volunteers who worked in over 100 degree heat.  Scary!!  July was a dry month with temps 100+ several days and things were really dry.  Since then we have had 4.35" of rain and cooler temps.  DH said to me this morning that the grass was beginning to grow again.  I took a few pictures to show how rain can renew things. 

 Here is a small portion of the burned area with new grass beginning to come back. 

 I hope the browned leaves on the trees from the fire come back next year. 

 During the heat and drought, several of my daylilies went into dormancy.  Since the cooler temps and rain they are showing new growth!  Daylilies are very hardy plants.

 The Four O'Clocks out by the milk barn reseed back each year and the heat and lack of rain didn't seem to bother them-blooming profusely.

This lone little Cleome decided to live and bloom!

I thank God each day that it wasn't any worse than it was and that no one was injured or had heat related problems!!

4 comments:

gld said...

That was scary. There have been grass fires here in our area too.

Actually burning the pastures off is a good thing. That new grass will be beautiful. The rains were such a blessing.

Joan Ervin said...

Fire is our biggest fear in this dry and hot weather...I am so sorry about your fire, Bev!! It looks like the rain helped the regrowth...it's wonderful to see the green peeking through!! Your flowers are all beautiful...4 o'clocks are some of my favorite flowers!!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Oh, Bev, I'm so sorry you had a fire. That is sad for all that was lost, but I love how you are focusing on what is saved. Bless you all!

Linda Kaiser said...

I am so sorry that you lost 10 acres. Glad you are ok. I so enjoyed visiting your blog.

Linda