Sunday, April 17, 2011

SWEET VIOLETS

I love violets, tame or wild.  They are one of the sweetest sights in early spring to me.  The Viola Johnny Jump Up's in the above photo return every year and in some unexpected places. 


The Viola Penny violet above was very pretty.  Reseeded back for a few years but haven't seen it this year.  Sad!


This is one of the prettiest colored violets and very prolific as are most violets.  My daughter gave me a start and this is the mother plant.  It has reseeded in the bed, which I want, and out into the lawn.  I dug some of those and replanted and the rest get mowed if they are tall enough for the blades to reach otherwise I enjoy them as I walk around the yard. 
 The bed above is the one that I want the violets to have free run in.  The mother plant is in the background.  Annabelle hydrangea is in the corner out of camera range.  There is also some reseeding Sweet Williams and some  iris, can't remember the kind at the moment.  Our dog, Lady,  lays on the other end of the bed  so I leave that spot open for her. 

Here are some cards I haven't posted.

This was for a challenge we were to title as a dance theme.  I called mine 'Doin' the Button Dance'.  I used a Cuttlebug Button embossing folder on the edge and used the Sizzix Button #5 die for the buttons that I added to the punched solid and music dp circles-someone said they looked like the old 78 records. The sentiment is from a Stampin' Up set Riveting and I used brown and white baker's twine for my trim.

My oldest daughter turned 48 last week-where has the time gone?  She is a jig saw puzzle lover so I used the House Mouse Piece Corps stamp to make her card.

This card uses another image from the Tim Holtz Journey set.  It didn't make a very good ink impression so I later colored it in with a black pencil and like it better but didn't retake a picture.

Wishing you all a good week.

8 comments:

gld said...

Bev I have that reddish violet in a pot from my sis in Iowa. I haven't decided where to put it yet...I think up front in my violet meadow.

Our oldest will be 46 in June! I can hardly believe it; he can't either.

Anonymous said...

i like the pics. the first card is really neat.
me

Anonymous said...

Love all the pictures sister!!!!!

Niki Estes said...

Great cards, Bev! Your flowers look beautiful! I'm ready for spring. We woke up to a light layer of snow again this morning. Ugh.

Joan Ervin said...

What gorgeous flowers, Bev...I would love to see you garden in full bloom!!! I love all your cards, too...beautifully done!!!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, I was hoping to see garden photos when I came here! I have those pink violets, too, and the Johnny Jump Ups and some deep purples, as well as the yellow ones that grow wild in the woods. I'm in the process of coloring some violets for cards, but so hard to find time to finish anything. I have to say your House Mouse puzzle card is so cute, and how perfect for your daughter! Also love the button border on the first card, and all that wonderful color and texture. You've got the perfect guy card going on at the end there, too. My husband would love it!

LeAnne said...

I only have plain old purple violets in my side yard, but I really enjoy them as a sign of spring!
I LOVE the button card---reminds me that I have that little button folder and haven't used it in a loooooong time!

Colleen Dietrich said...

All those violets are glorious! It's one of my fave flowers, along with hydrangeas.

NIce to see you've been busy making cards, too. Bet your daughter loved the jigsaw puzzle theme for hers.