Sunday High Temp--86 degrees with wind gusts to 40 mph
Monday High Temp--46 degrees with wind gusts to 35 mph, rainy and cold!
This garden bench has been under the tree for umpteen years and Sunday was the first time it has ever been blown over. The very, very strong winds yesterday must have caught it just right and over it went!
I have grown Pink Flowering Almond (prunus glandulosa 'Rosea Plena' for years and always look forward to it blooming. The Pink Flowering Almond is a small shrub that flowers in early spring with a display of double, light pink flowers before the leaves appear. It grows best in light shade to full sun. It prefers a well drained light garden soil and is adaptable to most soil types and moisture levels. Blossoms are beautiful but not fragrant. I plan to prune and shape mine after it finishes flowering. If it was in a different location I would leave it alone, but it is by the garage so needs to be kept in check. I took this photo today before the rain and wind damages many more blossoms. Photo is a little blurry as the wind was blowing the limbs around. It blooms along with the forsythia and the redbuds for some pretty early spring color.
Went to the accountants office this morning and left our tax info. We then went to a local cafe that serves breakfast all day and had an early lunch. DH had breakfast but I had the cheeseburger/fries from the childs menu and it was plenty. I have to go back to town to pick up our meds from the pharmacy and buy some groceries at Wal-Mart and go to the bank. We were waiting for the mail to come with a farm payment check so I can put it in the bank. If I didn't need the meds I wouldn't get out again being the wimp I am.
Thanks for visiting my blog and I appreciate the comments.


8 comments:
What a wind that must have been! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. I've only been at this for a year now, but have met some amazing blog friends during that time. I'll be back to your blog when I can spend a little more time to look around.
My first visit to your blog. We have in common being married just about forever and having raised cattle. And daylilies. We had damaging wind a week ago and are under a tornado watch tonight.
Well, hello Nell!
Bev, you will really enjoy her gardening blog.
I have considered the flowering almond for years...after seeing yours I will go ahead. I am copying Nell's gardens.....more flowering shrubs, trees and bulbs. I love how it looks.
We three are all long-time marrieds! We just had our 50th March 18th. Hard to believe.
I love to come and see what's blooming over at your place Bev! that bush looks lovely! we're having the same roller coaster ride of weather here in New England - one day 50's the next day freezing!
We have had some pretty gusty winds, too, here in Texas...lots of brush fires because of the drought. A man started his house on fire with the spark of a chain saw....we need rain bad!!! Your bush is sooo pretty...the pink flowers look so delicate!! You always have the most beautiful flowers, Bev!!!
You asked if I prune my Knockouts. I did not prune two, a pink and a red. They are full and gorgeous. I do prune an older red that hangs out in the way of the mower. It isn't as full. I didn't prune Sunny KO because it is still a baby. Mostly I just prune off dead wood and I deadhead. I know they say KO's don't need deadheading. I am not fond of seeing what is ordinarily deadheaded.
nice pics.
That was some strong wind, huh?? Love your pink flowering almond....so sweet and dainty and springy.
Post a Comment