Tuesday, November 15, 2011

FAVORITE THINGS

 Some time ago I started taking pictures of old buildings-homes, churches, schools, etc.  in my area.  Here are a few of them. 
This is Gladden School, near Success, where I got part of my education.  I started to school there, then we moved and I went to Macomb and Houston and finally moved back to Success and I finished my 7th and 8th grade years in this building.  Lots of happy memories.  Some one has since made a home in the building.  

This is where I went to church growing up.  Back then the middle part of the building was the small church.  The additions on either end were added later for classrooms and a fellowship hall. When I was growing up church was more than a spiritual learning place it was also a social outlet.  We lived in the country and Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday nights was when I got to see my good friends, Doris and Deen; Deen is now my sister-in-law. I remember Sunday school, Vacation Bible School, church plays, dinners and spending time together.  We had some good times together growing up and still keep in touch today.

This is Elk Creek Baptist Church that is not to far from where I live.  I really like how they have kept the rural church in such good repair through the years. The steeple and the red metal roof are fairly new additions.

This is the old mill at Alley Springs State Park.  A really nice place to visit and hike to see wildflowers in the spring. 

This is the old Story School at Alley Springs; typical of rural schools during my growing up years.

                                ====================
Here are a few fall themed cards I have made lately.  The first two use the same sketch but for one of them I flipped the sketch.

 This card was made for a challenge to use leaves on our cards.  I stamped the leaves from a Hero Arts set, colored them and then cut them out and put them on the Pumpkin Pie circles which are raised up using foam dimensionals.

 This card uses the same sketch as above but in the original design. I like the sketch used both ways. The sentiment says: Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Fall, Happy Blessings to one and all.
The challenge for this card was to do a mosiac.  I had this tiled piece I had made laying on my desk so used it instead.  I stamped the sunflower on and colored it using Prismacolor pencils blended with Turpenoid.  Added some small punched out butterflies and a autumn colored ribbon.  I added some yellow Stickles glitter glue to the flower and butterflies for some sparkle.

Later---Bev J.

9 comments:

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Loved seeing your photos, Bev. Some of them brings back memories for me. The school with the rock siding looks like the rock my dad choose to put on our house where I grew up on the farm! And the one room school looks about the size of the one I attended way back when, although our school had a porch across the front. I like that red roof on the white church. It's beautiful.
Your cards are really beautiful!

gld said...

Bev,I loved the pictures of the old buildings; they all look in remarkable good repair.

How wonderful that one of your best friends is now you sister-in-law.

I love the fall cards.

Bonnie said...

These are some lovely old buildings and the memories they conjure up are priceless! Love all the cards! Beautiful leaves, a wonderful sentiment and a happy sunflower...

Anonymous said...

beautiful!!
me

Joan Ervin said...

What beautiful old buildings, Bev...they have been treated with a lot of love during their life!!! Your cards are beautiful, too, expecially the tile card...love the sunflower!!!!

Leslie Miller said...

You have so much wonderful history in your area and it's nice that you've lived there all those years and have the good memories. I enjoy seeing the pictures since it's so different from anything here on the Oregon coast. Your fall cards are lovely. Hard to believe it's still fall with all this cold and wet we're having.

Lynn said...

Love seeing your photos & your pretty cards too. Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and a very happy 50th anniversary!

Joan B said...

your photos are fascinating and beautiful. and love these cards, particularly the mosaic one. gorgeous!

Colleen Dietrich said...

I like seeing pictures of these buildings, along with the narration for them. :) Thanks for showing us!

Your fall cards are pretty! I especially like the top one with the many leaves. :)